We've found the best time to buy - and for a great price!
Buying new furniture can get expensive. Even the most basic items can cost anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars. And, when it comes to buying a couch or sofa, you’re talking about a piece of furniture that will be a gathering place in your home for years to come.
Our Coca-Cola Credit Union members often approach us with questions about major expenses such as furniture. One of the questions we get asked a lot is:
“What’s the best time to buy a couch?
That’s an important question to ask because it can make a difference in how you budget between now and the time you buy a sofa. The good news is, there is a best time to buy a sofa. Here’s what you need to know.
The Seasons of Buying Furniture
It may surprise you to know that the furniture business has seasons. Like any other product, there are times when new furniture (including new sofas) are in high demand. At those times, the prices are likely to be high.
The key, then, is to focus on the times of year when one of two things is true:
- Few people are in the market for new sofas; or,
- There are a lot of sofas available and retailers are eager to sell them.
That second option is one that makes the biggest difference in prices. When retailers have a lot of stock – and new stock coming in – they’ll likely be slashing prices and offering deals to anyone who’s looking to buy.
In general, you’ll get better prices in the off-seasons. For example, patio furniture is less expensive in the winter and more expensive in the warm summer months. When you’re in the market for new furniture, you should take some time to understand the market and shop when you’re likely to get the best price.
The Best Time to Buy a Couch or Sofa
You’re in the market for a new sofa – so when should you hit the stores? The key piece of information you need is this:
“Furniture manufacturers release new designs for interior furniture at two times of year, in February and in August.”
In the time leading up to the release of new designs, furniture retailers are often eager to sell last season’s inventory to make room for new designs that are coming in. They’re likely to run sales and offer better financing options at these times.
If you plan your sofa shopping to coincide with the time that stores are running their biggest promotions, you’ll be more likely to find a sofa that fits your budget.
Tips for Buying a New Couch or Sofa
Even at times of year when furniture stores are running sales and offering discounts, there are things you can do to lower the price and get a good deal. Here are some pointers to help you out.
- Know your budget going in and set a firm boundary for spending. An eager salesperson may try to talk you into buying something you can’t afford. Make sure you know what you can afford and be willing to walk away if a particular store doesn’t have what you want.
- Ask about discounts for floor models. Sometimes, furniture retailers offer hefty discounts for the “gently used” sofas that sit on the showroom floor. They’re usually in near-perfect condition and many salespeople will knock a significant chunk off the price if you’re willing to buy one.
- Ask about package deals. Maybe you’re only in the market for a sofa now, but you know you’ll be needing a new table in the next year. If you have the money in your budget, try asking the salesperson what they’re willing to do for you. You might be able to get a great deal.
- Make sure you understand the total cost of the couch you’re considering, including tax and delivery costs. Hidden costs can sometimes push what seems like an affordable option out of your reach.
- Ask about financing. When a store’s trying to unload last year’s models, they may be willing to offer financing with 0% interest if you pay off your new sofa in a set time period.
These tips can help you get a great price on a new couch or sofa. If shopping in January or July doesn’t fit in with your schedule, keep in mind that holiday weekends are a good time to shop. You can also ask local furniture retailers if they ever have warehouse sales. You may be able to get overstocked models at deeply discounted prices.
Buying a new sofa can be expensive, but if you follow our tips about the best time to buy a sofa, you’re likely to find a bargain – and buy a couch that you and your family will love!
Need help buying new furniture? Click here to learn about Coca-Cola Credit Unions’ competitive credit cards.